Hi,
[snip]

>I have long wondered whether or not protons generate bremsstrahlung radiation
>in the same manner as electrons.  It seems that the charge is responsible for
>the radiation and not the mass unless you are suggesting that the slower rate
>of deceleration of a proton versus and electron as it travels through matter
>is the reason.

Precisely. Furthermore the actual velocity of a proton is about 2000 times lower
than that of an electron of the same energy (relativistic considerations aside).

>Would the same deceleration rate for either particle generate the same
>radiation effect?

I suspect so.

>The flip side of this coin is that the proton would travel proportionally
>further as a result of the lower deceleration rate.

Actually, I don't think they travel as far. I suspect this is because they are
much slower, and consequently have more time to interact with the electrons of
the atoms they pass through than an electron of equivalent energy. Alpha
particles have even shorter trajectories.
Besides, the positively charged particles tend to attract the electrons of other
atoms, dragging them away from their parent atoms, whereas a fast electron
pushes other electrons away, making them more inclined to simply move over a
little rather then get stripped from their parent atom.
This means that fast electrons don't get as many opportunities to dispose of
their energy and hence travel farther.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk