Chemical Engineer <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am an engineer and I like new technology as do many.

Of course! But if you had to choose between a tried and true old method
that works as well as a new one, I'll bet you would go with the old one. It
is a safer choice. It is often a wistful choice . . .

>  The entire CSP market in California has been created from State
> Legislation, Federal grants, loans and subsidies.

My point exactly! And in May 1844, the entire telegraph market was created
by fiat by Congress, which paid way to much to adventurous young Turks such
as Ezra Cornell so they could waste money learning many different wrong
ways of laying a telegraph line between Baltimore and Washington DC. A big
fat waste of the taxpayers' money it was -- everyone said so.

That is also what many people said about the government's subsidies for
steamships, and railroads, and canals before that, and later sewers and
other public health measures, public schools, land grant universities, the
NIS, the Panama Canal, air transport (heavily subsidized from 1914 to the
1930s) and countless other technologies.

>  The market will dry up when those options go away again with changing
> adminstrations just as it did 25+ years ago.

Or not. The market for steamships, railroads, air transportation,
computers, integrated circuits and the Internet did not dry up after the
government privatized these things and let corporations reap the benefits.

These things always start out as a technology that could not survive
without government support. There are THOUSANDS of examples, big and small.
Of course there are failures, such as ethanol. But they are far outnumbered
by the successes.

There is no technical reason why CSP cannot become competitive with other
technologies, especially if you factor in the cost in lives, health, and
global warming from the alternatives such as coal and natural gas from
fracking. Of course it is not competitive now. If I had a cold fusion
generator right now, you can be darn sure it would be hundreds or perhaps
thousands of times more expensive per watt than any alternative. The first
100,000 cold fusion power reactors will be far more expensive than any
other kind. The first computers cost way more than mechanical calculating
machines. Some of the first transistors cost $17 and they
replaced vacuum tubes costing a nickel each. That comparison misses the
point. It was obvious that transistors would soon get cheaper. Granted, not
many people realized they would someday cost a millionth of of a penny, but
it was clear there was "plenty of room at the bottom" (Feynman).