Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1/  The power source is too diffuse, and the sun doesn't shine at night
> meaning you need a huge plant to produce significant power.

This is 110 MW on 1,600 acres. That is excellent power density. Better than
uranium fission or coal, when you take into account the land needed for the
mines and railroads to transport the fuel.

> 2/  You have to build mirrors heavy to survive weather/environment.  Hail,
> snow, rain, salt, wind, dust and UV all mean that the construction needs to
> be reasonably heavy if you want it to survive decades even if the bad
> weather is infrequent.

That has not been a problem with existing installations. The LUZ
installations have lasted for 30 years in a harsh environment.

> 3/  The plants are a relatively long distance from consumers and existing
> grid infrastructure - expensive grid connections.

That is a problem with some wind installations, but not a problem with
solar PV or CSP. The PV installations are being built right on the grounds
of gas turbine generators, giving the overall installation about 10% more
peak power. The Crescent Dunes installation is right next to a major high
voltage line so it will not cost any more than a conventional generator to
hook up. That's why they put it there.

Solar is more flexible than wind.

Most solar power in Japan is a couple of meters away from the people who
will use it, right on the roof. In southern Japan -- which resembles the
U.S. southwest only with lots more rain -- solar roofs are everywhere these
days. They do not generate much power on rainy days, but people do not need
much power on rainy days.

> 4/  There will be alternative extremely cheap sources of intense heat
> energy available for foreseeable future (fossil fuels + nuclear, probably
> LENR, maybe hot fusion).

Nuclear is not cheap! Not after Fukushima. Fossil fuels are only cheap
because the power companies do  not pay for the 20,000 they murder every
year, and they will not pay for the cost of global warming. Add in those
costs and coal or natural gas would cost FAR more than CSP.

> Given massive availability of shale gas produced electricity at
> $0.04-0.06/kWh (currently <$0.04/kWh in USA due to extremely low gas price)
> . . .

That price does not include the cost of the land that is destroyed by
fraking. Add that in and we are paying a fortune and destroying our living
space, our wildlife and our future.

If you burn the furniture in your house in winter to keep warm, you can
live cheaply for a month. Then what do you do? After we destroy large parts
of New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, where will we live? What will
we eat?

> and the best CSP running along at $0.2-0.3/kWh, there is just no
> foreseeable technology path that can bring the CSP cost down by a factor of
> 4 to compete with gas and (eventually) nuclear.

That's absurd. What is so expensive about making mirrors? Do you think they
cost far more than gas turbines? And what do you think coal electricity
would cost if 20,000 families every years successfully sued them for
murdering their fathers and mothers? As I said here before, if the airlines
killed 20,000 people in one year, the entire aviation industry would be
closed down, and we would soon have high speed trains instead. The only
reason that does not happen with coal fired electricity is because the
victims are poor people living downwind of the generators. They do not vote
and they cannot afford to file suits, so you can kill them off with
impunity. No one but his family gives a damn when a poor person dies at age
60 instead of 70 or 80.

This is not because power companies are particularly evil. If Delta
Airlines could get away with murdering 20,000 passengers to make the same
kind of money the power companies do, I am sure they would do it. The
tobacco companies kill of hundreds of thousands of people with impunity. As
long as society lets corporations or individuals massacre people for
profit, they will do it.