Hi Jed,

When you say they cleaned it, what exactly did they do? Do you mean vacuum pumping it? Or rinsing it with H2? Or did they somehow give treatment to the wire? If this step apparently is so important and leaving it out is prohibitive for the results, I'd like to understand that better.

One thing I also fail to understand of Celani's setup is when he talks about switching from the "active" (treated) wire to the "inactive" (stock ISOTAN44?) wire as a control experiment. As far as I understand, both wires are in the tube simultaneously. What does this switching comprise of? Is he applying a DC current to the wire? (And -- just to make sure I understand -- this then is different from the power applied to the heater?)

Thanks!

Andre