________________________________
 Von: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
An: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Gesendet: 16:12 Dienstag, 11.September 2012
Betreff: Re: [Vo]:Cold fusion has been suppressed -- no evidence for a
conspiracy

Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes you did say. You said that hot fusion researchers are trying to 'suppress'
it and indeed hot fusion research is operating with extremely big money.
As noted that was Abd, not me. However, it is true that the plasma fusion
scientists played a leading role in suppressing cold fusion. I suppose they did
this mainly to protect their budget.

There is no doubt they played a leading role.

>> not over here (Germany).  As far as i know, the MPP, which is the biggest
>> May-Planck-Institute, tried to replicate F/P and failed. so the issue was
>> settled.

They did it quite publicly, in the mass media. They are proud of what they did.

>> Not really over here. This was a standard scientific issue of failure of
>> replication.
Maybe erroneous and for the wrong reasons, as it now seems to be the case.

I suppose plasma fusion funding is "big money." It is far bigger than most
academic funding.

>>It is big money, yes, but is PURE government money.
Per 2010 16 Billion Euro, with 6.6 european money.
But I take the expression "big money" to mean businesses, Wall Street, the DoD
or political parties. Academic funding is microscopic in comparison.

The opposition to cold fusion is caused by academic politics, in two ways:

1. Scientists tend to be conservative and unwilling to believe new information.
Most of them know nothing about cold fusion but they are certain it must be
wrong.

>> this is Kuhnian "Structure of Scientific Revolutions".
nothin new here.

2. Academic funding may be small,
>> it is not.

but it is how these people make their living. If cold fusion is funded many
academic researchers in other areas related to energy will lose their
livelihoods.

>> Ofcourse.

So they will fight it tooth and nail. I suppose I would too, if I were in their
place.

>> No, they do'nt.   It is sufficient to ignore the issue.

The fusion guys have a lot of problems with their own design, and them to even
CONSIDER cold fusion as a relevant contender,  is outside of any reasonable
consideration.

So to even consider a Rossi as a significant contender wrt funding-money,
is so far out, that one safely can consider this irrelevant.

To my experience, the direction of funding and its possible redirection to
competing fields is an EXTREMELY slow process, and can be measured in decades,
not years.

Guenter