Eric, I chose the nickel since it has a composition that resembles the wire
used by Celani in his recent demonstration.  This was recommended by someone
else and I thought the idea was great.  Nickels are easy to come by.

Today I picked up some pencil lead of .9 mm size #2 and replaced my stainless
steel electrode.  By this time the stainless has some serious stains and rust
appears to be in my electrolyte.  Meanwhile I located some sodium carbonate by
Arm & Hammer to use instead of the borax.

I just began the experiment about an hour ago and one thing stands out already.
 Thus far I have a clean electrolyte instead of one loaded with all kinds of
oxides.

Initially I was worried about the 1 amp flowing through the pencil lead but it
does not seem to get hot and should last under this condition.  It just appears
so tiny when I am used to large diameter wires.

This is a learning experience for me and I notice something rather interesting
that I am sure is common knowledge among experienced platers.  I measure a
voltage drop of approximately 2.5 volts from the nickel electrode to the very
close by electrolyte.  I noted about the same drop when using the stainless
steel electrode.  This represents a power dissipation of 2.5 watts that seems
to be within the electrolyte active region surrounding the electrodes.  Most of
my wasted power is merely heating the electrolyte directly due to ohmic loss.

Perhaps I should delay heating of a hydrogen loaded nickel as it might be
risky.  I will attempt that when I am feeling lucky.

At the moment my hydrogen loading system is taking 1 amp at about 20 volts.
The voltage reading varies greatly depending upon the spacing between the
electrodes as expected with a resistive electrolyte.

Dave