Hi Chuck,

I am trying something a bit different at this point.  My plan is to load the
nickel with hydrogen somewhat similar to the palladium experiments.  The
hydrogen is supposed to come out of solution on the metal connected to the -
terminal of the power supply while the other gas is emitted at the + terminal.
I think you may have your nickel and penny switched, but that might be required
for some unknown reason.

I will connect it as you have after I finish this experiment to see if I get
similar results to what you are obtaining.  I have had to replenish the water
several times as well as add extra electrolyte, otherwise it would have boiled
off.  Actually, I have gone so far as to stop the experiment twice and totally
clean up the pieces and then use a new mixture of electrolyte.  I want to make
sure you know that washing soda (sodium carbonate) is the electrolyte I am
using currently.  I will change this back to borax when I try your exact
experiment.

My supply is current limited and will not increase beyond what it is set for.
I would see my supply voltage drop toward zero if the system resistance were to
head in that direction.

I am positive that I am reading the voltage and current across and through the
cell.  On occasions I have recorded the open circuit cell output voltage as a
function of time immediately after disconnect and it has interesting behavior.
This appears to be a quick way to test the electrolyte condition, but I have
not put much effort into performing calibration.

The experiment that I am currently conducting is different in the ways that I
mentioned  Chuck.

I am assuming that you are using DC power since you speak of a positive and
negative terminal.  Let me know if this is not true.

Dave