Comment below

On 9/28/2012 2:39 AM, David Roberson wrote:
Hi Chuck,
[snip]

My supply is current limited and will not increase beyond what it is set for. I would see my supply voltage drop toward zero if the system resistance were to head in that direction.

I am positive that I am reading the voltage and current across and through the cell. On occasions I have recorded the open circuit cell output voltage as a function of time immediately after disconnect and it has interesting behavior. This appears to be a quick way to test the electrolyte condition, but I have not put much effort into performing calibration.
[snip]
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Sites <cbsit...@gmail.com>
[snip]
I hope your measuring the voltage and amperage going into the cell(s). When I saw the heat, the current would shoot through the roof, just like somehow the resistance drops toward zero.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Chuck and Dave: BIG difference right there in front.

One of you is running the supply in constant current mode, and one in constant voltage. If the resistance decreases, the first setup's input power will /decrease /in proportion (I^2*R); and the second, the input power will /increase /inversely (V^2/R).

So the question might be, does the temperature rise only because the input power rose, or did it start to rise before the power rose?

My apologies if this was already obvious.

Also, it strikes me that a sudden big resistance drop is sort of unthinkable if occurring in the bulk of the electrolyte. A flood of new ions zipping out from some small source (or if an area source, weirdly synchronized)? But likewise with an interface change: If small, little effect; if big then weirdly synchronized. But I never did any chemistry.

Dave B.