I also placed my connections above the bath.  With Borax, they had to be fairly
close together to get 1 amp.  I estimate from memory about 1/2 inch maximum.  I
am currently using sodium carbonate with a pencil lead electrode connected to
the positive supply terminal.  With borax, the metal electrodes in that
location always were attacked by the oxygen being released and the resistivity
would quickly become too large.  Carbon electrodes likewise did not last long
before being destroyed and that is when I went to the Arm & Hammer washing soda
(sodium carbonate).   My latest set up lasts a very long time before the carbon
is damaged.  The spacing is about 2 inches between my nickel and pencil lead.

Typically I read 14 volts when 1 amp of current is flowing.  Occasionally it
only takes 12 volts depending upon spacing, electrode depth, and other factors.

I found an interesting way to make a sharp carbon rod.  The borax solution ate
the carbon electrode with the most material being taken from the tip.   This
resulted in an extremely long sharp carbon tip that appears many times sharper
than a needle.  The tip could penetrate a paper towel with a small effort.

Dave