Hi Dave,

     I never had one fail.  The ratio is 3g Borax to 100ml of distilled H20
(no water softener or anything like that).
Nickel on the +side, and copper wire on the - side.  I saw the effect come
on in as little as 3hrs.   Are you replicating the ptree dish experiment?
 36hrs is far to long.   You should have boiled the water off by now  Its
either
wrong polarity or wrong materials.

There is something to note about what Dave is seeing.  36hr with nothing
like I saw with Copper and Al, Steel, Iron, Zinc and copper.  If your not
seeing it after 36hrs, you need to try again.  This effect is robust.
 I hope your measuring the voltage and amperage going into the cell(s).
 When I saw the heat, the current would shoot through the roof, just like
somehow the resistance drops toward zero.

Best Regards,
Chuck