The comparison to penicillin is instructive. Like most discoveries, this
was developed and used extensively long before anyone understood how it
worked in theory. Long before they could have understood it.

Penicillin was developed in the 1940s, in a crash project to treat WWII
casualties. Doctors soon confirmed that it worked by the simplest,
most irrefutable method: they administered it to thousands of sick and
wounded patients, and the patients recovered almost immediately, even in
hopeless cases when they would have died without the drug. One or two
recoveries might have been  a coincidence. Ten or twenty, maybe. But not
thousands.

No sane doctor or scientist would have questioned the efficacy of
penicillin after 1945, even though there was not theory to explain it until
the 1960s.

In exactly the same way, when Storms, Bockris and later Will working
independently all detected high levels of tritium in cold fusion
experiments, they knew at once that it is a nuclear effect. They proved
there is a nuclear effect at room temperature in a hydride. They did not
need a theory to prove that, and all the theory in the world cannot
"unprove" it. It does not matter how many physicists refuse to believe it.
Facts are facts, tritium is tritium, and it can only be produced by a
nuclear reaction, by definition. Yes, it is possible for tritium to be
contamination. It might be an instrument error, or some other radioactive
element.

As I said, it is possible that  5 or 10 patients might recover by
coincidence after being given penicillin. You can only be absolutely sure
the effect is real when you repeat it several times, and when experts rule
out other causes. That is what happened with penicillin, and in 1989 with
cold fusion. Storms et al. methodically ruled out things like external
contamination. Storms showed that such contamination would have to be
present at such high levels, the laboratory would be dangerous and the
alarms would go off, forcing a permanent evaluation.

The experiment was repeated dozens of times, later hundreds of times, with
a high rate of success. Fritz Will et al. eventually saw tritium at 50
times background. They did hundreds of blank tests. The wrote: "the
probability that the tritium in the latter was due to random spot
contamination is computed as 1 in 2,380."

Eventually, the people at BARC, Amoco and over 100 other labs confirmed
tritium production. The reactor safety group at the BARC power reactor
confirmed this. As they said, "if we did not know how to measure tritium,
we would be dead."

When the evidence piles up this high; when HUNDREDS of researchers confirm
something in thousands of tests, and when they detect radioactive materials
at levels that would be dangerous or deadly if the material was
contamination coming from outside the cell, then you must put aside all
doubts, and accept that the result is real. Any other evaluation is not
just unscientific. Frankly, it would be lunacy.

We know that tritium is the product of a nuclear reaction. Therefore we
know that a nuclear reaction takes place in a cold fusion cell. There can
be no doubt about it. The fact that we cannot explain this by theory has no
bearing on the question. It does not reduce our confidence in the
results. Rejecting this finding because there is no theory to explain it
would be like withholding millions of doses of penicillin from the wounded
soldiers on WWII battlefields because no one understood
how penicillin worked. Because there was no theory. That would be criminal.
It would be insanity. If the soldiers or civilians in 1945 learned that
some doctor had made that decision, withheld the drug and cost the lives of
100,000 or more soldiers, they would be outraged. That doctor and everyone
else involved would be tried for treason, and shot.

Frankly, in my opinion, cold fusion is as important as penicillin. I am
pretty sure that the decades-long delays caused by academic politics have
cost far more than 100,000 lives. If people knew this, they would be
outraged, justifiably so.