Hi,
[snip]
>Has anyone studied Piantelli's work enough to comment on whether I've
>gotten this right or missed something important?  Can anyone (Robin?)
>comment on which parts are controversial and which are accepted physics?  I
>understand that you can see the emission of a gamma ray from large,
>metastable nuclei, when the nucleons rearrange to a lower energy level, but
>is this possible with as light an atom as nickel?

Apparently a double beta decay of 58Ni to 58Fe is energetically possible, with
the release of 1.9 MeV, which falls in the middle of the range reported by
Piantelli for his proton energy.

Perhaps positioning a proton close to the Ni nucleus enhances the chance of this
reaction occurring??

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk