Steven:

How many people could $400 BILLION dollars feed?

-Mark

From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson [mailto:orionwo...@charter.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:46 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Another article about the impact of automation on
employment

>From Ashfield:

> ... The referenced article was rather unimaginative in places but

> noted the basic question: "who is going buy all these nice goodies

> if they are unemployed?"

Precisely.

<personal rant>

IMHO, too many politicians are focusing on a misguided belief that balancing
the national budget is the most important thing, above everything else, that
must be tackled. What most fail to realize is the fact that "money" is
nothing more than a contractual representation of the exchange of goods and
services between individuals and legal entities. Most don't like to ponder
the realization that "money" is quite ephemeral in nature, despite all
attempts to back it with a representation of limited physical resources like
gold and silver. In a sense, I think this is false advertising of the worst
kind. It's worshiping the value of "money" over the value of the actual work
& labor that creates said goods and services that "money" attempts to
accurately represent. It's as if "money is being worshiped as a false god.
It's putting the cart before the horse.

IMHO, politicians need to focus more on whatever it takes to create
environments that allow people to go back to work (or remain working) so
that that they can start (or continue) acquiring enough of these symbolic
representations of goods and services that they can cash in for themselves.
I don't think one can accomplish that by constantly slashing national
budgets in a misguided belief that doing so will stabilize the value of
"money", which in turn will somehow miraculously cause businesses to
automatically flourish so that they will automatically start employing more
people... many whom may end up being hired at minimum wage. But Hey! It's a
job! All that national budget slashing... the national budget employs a lot
of people too, just like out in the private sector. If massive amounts of
them lose their jobs due to forced budget cutting and are forced into the
unemployment lines, it's absolutely no different than private companies
firing it's employees because it has insufficient "money" to pay them for
their services. Everyone suffers as fewer goods and services are being
generated which, in turn, devalues the value to "money".

We need to stop finding scapegoats to blame (i.e. national budget), and
start focusing on ways to make sure everyone has a chance to continue to
make valuable contributions to society. In the end, allowing enough people
to continue to make valuable contributions to society is the only real way
of saving the value of "money". I don't think one can accomplish that by, in
a draconian manner, slashing the budget.

</personal rant>

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com