Yes, Mark, this would be the best place to start. But jobs will be lost, the only issue is which jobs. Congress does not want to cut any jobs because these are voters. They only want to cut things that will piss off the fewest number of people who vote. The poor do not vote so they are fair game. Of course, a combination of increased taxes especially at the high end and careful cuts over a period of time would be the way to go. But as you note - fat chance.

Ed