From: Edmund Storms [stor...@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:16 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Cc: Edmund Storms
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Another article about the impact of automation on employment

On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:45 PM, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:

>From Ashfield:

> ... The referenced article was rather unimaginative in places but
> noted the basic question: “who is going buy all these nice goodies
> if they are unemployed?”

Precisely.

<personal rant>

IMHO, too many politicians are focusing on a misguided belief that balancing
the national budget is the most important thing, above everything else, that
must be tackled. What most fail to realize is the fact that "money" is nothing
more than a contractual representation of the exchange of goods and services
between individuals and legal entities.

No Steven, what you say is not the issue. The issue is that money has been lent
to the US in various forms and by various people and they want their money back
eventually. Meanwhile they want to be paid interest. The US is rapidly
approaching a level of debt such that if the interest rates rose to normal
levels, we could not pay the interest without shutting down significant parts
of the government. The US is presently printing dollars to cover this expense.
As a result, the debt is growing because this money is borrowed from the
Federal Reserve, which is a private bank owned by individuals who want to be
paid. At some point in the near future, the debt will be so large, it simply
can not be paid. At that point, the US is in default, and the financial system
of the world collapses. This means starvation and civil strife.  The problem is
serous and can not be solved without great pain, which means further loss of
jobs. The fools in Congress over the last 20 years have created a no win
situation that very few people understand.

Ed

Most don't like to ponder the realization that "money" is quite ephemeral in
nature, despite all attempts to back it with a representation of limited
physical resources like gold and silver. In a sense, I think this is false
advertising of the worst kind. It's worshiping the value of "money" over the
value of the actual work & labor that creates said goods and services that
"money" attempts to accurately represent. It's as if "money is being worshiped
as a false god. It's putting the cart before the horse.

IMHO, politicians need to focus more on whatever it takes to create
environments that allow people to go back to work (or remain working) so that
that they can start (or continue) acquiring enough of these symbolic
representations of goods and services that they can cash in for themselves. I
don't think one can accomplish that by constantly slashing national budgets in
a misguided belief that doing so will stabilize the value of "money", which in
turn will somehow miraculously cause businesses to automatically flourish so
that they will automatically start employing more people... many whom may end
up being hired at minimum wage. But Hey! It's a job! All that national budget
slashing... the national budget employs a lot of people too, just like out in
the private sector. If massive amounts of them lose their jobs due to forced
budget cutting and are forced into the unemployment lines, it's absolutely no
different than private companies firing it's employees because it has
insufficient "money" to pay them for their services. Everyone suffers as fewer
goods and services are being generated which, in turn, devalues the value to
"money".

We need to stop finding scapegoats to blame (i.e. national budget), and start
focusing on ways to make sure everyone has a chance to continue to make
valuable contributions to society. In the end, allowing enough people to
continue to make valuable contributions to society is the only real way of
saving the value of "money". I don't think one can accomplish that by, in a
draconian manner, slashing the budget.

</personal rant>

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson