On 02/06/2013 04:20 PM, Craig wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 04:08 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
>>
>> It is a myth that temperatures have not increased in 16 years. The
>> people making this claim started with the highest outlier point 16
>> years ago. See:
>>

> I don't agree with that, but you can see it here:
>
> http://climexp.knmi.nl/data/ihadcrut4110_-180-180E_-90-90N_n_1998:2013.png

Actually, we can calculate this value.

I started with Jan 1948 and took the trend line up until Jan 1998. Then
I extended this trend line unto the end of the data set at Dec 2011.
This gave us a projected temperature value of 0.282 above the entire
mean of the HadSST3 series for Dec, 2011. (My dataset is using the
global sea surface temperatures.) Then I took the standard deviation
over the whole set of data from Jan 1948 - Dec 2011, and this was 0.177.
So the final value should be within 0.282 +/- 0.177 off the mean, which
would be 0.105 to .459, and it is within one standard deviation with a
value of 0.363, which is still ABOVE the 50 year trend line.

Here's a graph:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4QESdNmbCJSbFFScjJZdUhWdU0/edit?usp=sharing

So the temperature stall is still above the 50 year trend line, and can
continue flat for quite some time before it falls below the first
standard deviation.

Craig