Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think the more suitable analogy is to Heart of Darkness.  We are Marlow,
> and Rossi is Kurtz.

That works too.

What I find mystifying about Rossi and Russ George alike is that they do
not need to exaggerate. They have both made important contributions. Okay,
I cannot be certain about Rossi, but George has. He has plenty to be proud
of, but he mars his own reputation by taking credit for other people's work
and by exaggerating his own contribution.

Take Rossi and Ampenergo. He announced that a major corporation was
investing in his work. He kept the name secret for a while, and then
revealed it with high drama. It turned out to be Ampenergo, which is not a
major corporation. It is a start-up. So Rossi made himself look like a liar
and a fool claiming it was big company. The thing is, his actions made no
sense. There was no benefit to saying it was big corporation. Everyone
discovered the truth about them as soon as he revealed their identity. More
to the point, Ampenergo is an impressive start-up. It has good people, with
loads of credibility and experience. Any researcher would be pleased to be
associated with them. So why did he make false claims about them?!?

Imagine a British scientist becomes an FRS and then lies about it, claiming
he has a Nobel Prize instead. Anyone can look up Nobel laureates and see he
isn't on the list. He is not fooling anyone. He makes a legitimate
accomplishment look doubtful. There is no advantage whatever.

This is odd behavior.