But, is there anything that can be gleaned from the anecdotal information
of a hotCat melt-down?

Something that strikes me is that if the heat was generated as phonons
locally at the NAE, then the NAE would be the hottest part of the reactor.
 If a reactor melted, it would be with the NAE hotter than the melted
reactor SS shell.  This doesn't sound plausible as the NAE would not have
been able to produce enough heat fast enough to cause the melt-down before
it destroyed itself.  So, evidence of a melt-down suggests to me that the
energy transport from the NAE is not carried by phonons.

On the other hand, now posit the NAE emitting a low energy photon or
particle radiation that would be absorbed by the SS reactor shell.  Now, it
is possible that the reactor shell itself is hotter than the NAE and it may
be possible to melt the reactor shell without necessarily destroying the
NAE - at least early in the process.

To me, this becomes anecdotal evidence of the energy being transported
outside of the NAE and collected in its dense environs.  The energy carrier
could be low energy photons, beta, or alpha.  If beta or alpha, might one
expect to measure escaping bremsstrahlung radiation coming from the reactor?