I was really surprised to hear at ICCF that it takes something like 4000
bar to load a Ni lattice with neutral hydrons.  I may have remembered the
actual number wrong, but it was a lot.  I suppose that if Ni were loaded
using smaller hydron ions, they could create a lot of internal stress.  I
am out of my comfort zone by a large margin in setting any expectation for
the crack behavior once loaded.  Note that I believe that Rossi uses
carbonyl Ni powder and claimed pure Ni only worked at very low levels -
that's why he added the catalyst.

Bob

Carbonyl Nickel is Nickel produced from Nickel Carbonyl. Producing Nickel
this way, the Nickel forms 'pointy' or 'spiky' grains.

Regarding FeO3 used as a 'wedge' to open and keep open nano cracks in
Nickel: What about the fact that Nickel is expanding as soon as it forms
NickelHydride. Would that alone not be sufficient to keep the process
running?

Best,
Rob Woudenberg