Jones,

SiC is a brittle super-hard ceramic and I don't believe Penon could have
mistaken a SiC carbide tube for stainless - and he specifically says it is
painted stainless.  Paint is easy to detect - you just scratch it.  SiC
would not have scratched.  I think Penon is correct about the tubes in the
devices of his report being painted stainless.  The stainless could have
been painted black for better thermal emissivity and/or to prevent
corrosion at high temperatures.

Yes, I have pointed out to Rossi that stainless leaks hydrogen rapidly
above 600C, but at 400C, the H2 loss is much less.  Stainless is cold
weld-able at the ends and SiC is not - making a SiC end seal problematic
for high temperature operation.  The concentric SiC tube end seals would
need some kind of intervening metal to seal SiC to SiC.

Hydrides have a saturated pressure at high temperature of about 30
atmospheres, and I don't know how well a ceramic tube would hold up with
tubes as large as shown in the Penon report and at that pressure (30 Atm).
 While SiC is extremely hard in compression, it is subject to fracture like
any ceramic in shear and would be dangerous as the outer pressure tube.

SiC would be difficult to machine to make a space for the active
ingredients in the concentric tube.  SS would be easy.  If the active
powder and hydride are not inside the concentric, cold welded stainless
tubes, where are they?  In the original hotCat, the tube is straight
through, not plugged.  There would be no other place for the powders and
evolved hydrogen in the original hotCat like the one Penon disassembled.

That doesn't mean Rossi doesn't use SiC in some of his devices, only there
is no evidence for it the Penon report or in what I have seen exposed to
the public.

Note that the mean free path of atomic H is very short at a pressure of 30
atmospheres (re-forming H2 with a MFP of microns).  Normally the stainless
would have to catalytically split the H2 at its surface to conduct the
neutral H through its grain boundaries.  At higher temperatures, this is
more effective.  By coating the inner surface (between the concentric
tubes) with a film that doesn't catalytically split the H2 at the stainless
surface, the permeation of the stainless would be much less.  Tom Claytor
suggested that a thin gold film would be effective for this.

I believe that the active LENR mechanism may well be what Dr. Storms
describes.  Reports of macro-scale micro-explosions and even macro
meltdowns (which Rossi describes) are evidence that the output energy from
the LENR reaction is photonic which would be absorbed at a distance from
the NAE.  Low energy gamma would be absorbed outside of the nanoscale NAE,
allowing the NAE to keep producing output even as the macro temperature
climbed.  If the output was phonons, the NAE would be at the highest
temperature and the temperature would fall off the farther you got away
from the NAE - the NAE would burn itself out at the nanoscale before
elevating the macro-scale temperature to melting.

I believe the NAE LENR output is low energy photons in the 1-20keV range
which gets thermalized in the surrounding powder and the stainless in a
thick vessel like in the Penon report.  I am setting up to detect this
emission in my own experiments by using a small diameter reaction vessel so
that the walls can be thin enough to let a reasonable fraction of this low
energy gamma escape to be measured while supporting an operating pressure
of up to 30 atmospheres.  I have made my own powder and will be using H2
instead of hydride for better control in a lab device, as Rossi originally
did.

Bob