Jones,

I believe you have a misconception about what the hotCat is.  In the
hotCat, both the metal hydride and Rossi's magic nickel powder are encased
entirely in stainless steel.  I am near 100% certain he does this by using
2 concentric stainless tubes machined with an interior space for his
ingredients.  Then ends of the stainless steel tubing are then cold welded
together and the result looks like just a stainless pipe that is empty.
 When he added the "Mouse", he then put something (probably his original
eCat recipe) inside the composite pipe and he stoppered the ends closed.
 This can be clearly seen in the Penon report.  I have diagrams of this,
and I have put them in my public folder on my Google drive at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Pc25a4cOM2ZjRKUmZUZlRXNzA&usp=sharing

Nowhere in this does the active LENR powder components get exposed to SiC.
 The ceramic coil form wrapped around the stainless pipe is just a resistor
coil form like any wire-wound resistor you buy off the shelf.  These outer
things are only resistive heaters that are outside the stainless pipe.

Speculation about SiC being involved would need separate evidence from what
is inside the stainless assembly, because any SiC potentially in the
resistive heaters does not participate in the LENR reaction as anything but
a resistive heater.

Bob