The Gilman machine appears aligned North and South.
The building it is housed in is parallel to "600 East Rd."

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=1793-1795+N+600+East+Rd,+Gilman,+IL+60938&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x880daff58a57d933:0xe98a8990679a2e17,1795+N+600+East+Rd,+Gilman,+IL+60938&gl=us&ei=RaxIUvHcGYqo2wWnoYBA&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

This is from looking at "Foto Oficial 07".
The "back" of the machine is on the East wall, lengthwise (and
longitudinally) running N-S.

- Brad