If an attempt is made to regulate cryptocurrencies themselves (ie: the
"proof of work" type transmission/public ledger systems upon which all
cryptocurrencies are based) in addition to the financial services atop
them, it will simply drive more of the economy underground.

The main problem with the exchanges is that they are prone to
centralization via the network effect.  That's what made MtGox dominant and
such a juicy target for underworld agencies -- including clandestine
"sovereign" agencies.

What I expect to happen next is a new cryptocurrency protocol will be put
in place that distributes the network effect along with the underlying
cryptocurrency protocol.  At that point it is going to be impossible to
regulate without driving ever more of the cyber economy underground and
expanding the black markets.