Arnaud,

I don't believe Rossi uses the carbonyl process, I am referring to high
external surface area Ni micro-particles produced through precipitation of
pure Ni particles from nickel tetracarbonyl liquid.  This is a common form
of pure, high active external surface Ni powder used in battery
applications for example.  It is supplied by the nickel manufacturer as
pure Ni powder having very distinctive flower-bud-like particles with a
diameter in the 4-10 micron range.  Nickel tetracarbonyl liquid is
dangerously poison and NEVER used by the end user.  The (poor) photograph
in Rossi's patent and his specific statement that Raney Ni will not work
led me to the conclusion that he is using carbonyl Ni powder.  Also,
Defkalion, his early partner, went straightaway to this carbonyl Ni powder
as their starting point.

I believe Rossi uses Fe2O3 nanopowder as his catalyst, and thermochemically
processes the powder into the Ni particles.  He creates the "tubercles" he
describes using the thermochemical processing.  According to Rossi, just
adding the nanoparticles will not result in significant LENR.  Addition of
the nanoparticles and thermochemical processing together would support the
formation of NAE as cracks as Ed Storms describes, and maybe even the
magnetic traps as described by Yeong Kim.  I wrote a paper about this
processing.  If you are interested, private email me and I will send you a
copy.  It was posted to Vortex before.

Bob Higgins