I wonder is this the same phenonomena as that described by Halas's group at
Rice Univ a couple years back?.  They simply focused sunlight onto carbon
black in water and saw water boiling directly off at apparently low temp.
 I briefly reproduced her experiment by a fresnel lens focused on a little
pill bottle with carbon black and it indeed does  generate steam locally
very quickly and vigourously. They planned to use Bill Gates money to make
medical distillers in Africa if I recall.   hmm.
ken