Wow. Can’t keep the two threads separated… $20 million to the winner ?  Nice
incentive.

It might be fun to merge this thread into the X-Prize thread, with the aim of
framing a system which would look a little like Sheehan’s and a little like
Cravens’, with Arata and Ahern thrown in for good measure. We can call it the
vorteX entry.

Unlike any of the above devices, we would strive to supersize it from the
beginning – with the expectation that a minimum size will become part of the
Rules. If we are talking about a gain of a watt per 10 grams – this means that
kilogram levels of two active metals are needed. (guessing that there will be a
minimum level requirement of at least 100 watts).

Sheehan chose tungsten and rhenium. Re sits just to the left of palladium in
the Periodic Table. The Arata-type of powder (supported by zirconia) could be a
significant improvement for one or both of the two competing surfaces, due to
surface chemistry - but is there an intrinsic advantage to W and Re? Did
Sheehan try other hydrogen active elements? He says this is open source, so
perhaps this is known.

If one is going to start with a system which uses perhaps several kg of active
competing metals, then one would prefer far lower cost than rhenium, which is
among the most expensive of metals- approximately $5000 per kg. This assumes
that Re is not specifically required. Tungsten is affordable, and actually
scavengable (light bulb filaments).

I have a mental image of a stack of filter plates imbedded with nanopowder –
alternating layers of the competing metals and with only one torr of hydrogen
which recirculates to give up the excess heat, looking somewhat like this.

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/fuel-cell-stacks-119739-5501391.jpg

From: H Veeder

If epicatalysis systems exist which can produce a higher temperature from just
ambient temperature without any additional input power then COP in terms of
heat output is infinity which is meaningless.

By analogy applying the COP measure to a naturally occurring waterfall gives
infinity...except with epicatalysis the water is falling up instead of down.

JB – we should step back and relook at the Cravens NI-Week demo in the context
of Epicatalysis, and as an example of something similar but more robust than
Sheehan. Cravens was getting much higher COP, at modest temps. There is no
apparent reason to drop all the way back to ambient…. The gain could be due to
hydrogen bond asymmetry only – meaning that there is an asymmetry in hydrogen
catalysis using some metal combinations which is actually gainful. That would
be in the sense of allowing the chemical bond to be split with slightly less
energy than it gives up on re-bonding. This could define Craven’s system as
well, no?