​​
This is a theory paper that is available on their website
​ which isn't linked to on MFMP website​
:

​Epicatalysis:
Nonequilibrium Heterogeneous Catalysis in the Long Mean Free Path Regime​

http://jointheparadigm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/EpicatalPRE.pdf

​​quote
<<It is curious that epicatalysis was not identi ed long ago, given that
heterogeneous catalysis has been studied
and used extensively for more than a century. There
​
might be several reasons for this. First, most chemists
and physicists are trained to think in terms of thermodynamic
​
equilibrium, so it is foreign to suppose that closed,
isothermal blackbody cavities could harbor nonequilibrium
​
stationary states. Furthermore, thermodynamic arguments
are usually framed in the thermodynamic limit,
​
that is, to treat systems as spatially in nite, in the longtime
limit, free of boundary e ects. These assumptions
​
fail here. Epicatalysis depends on strong gas-surface interactions
(Criterion 1) as well as on nite system size
​
and an inert gas phase (Criterion 2), thereby confounding
common thermodynamic expectations. Finally, in
​
practice most commercial catalysis is carried out in large
vessels at high pressures such that the 1  criterion for epicatalysis
​
is not satis ed. The Haber-Bosch process, for
​
instance,
is typically conducted at 150-400 atmospheres in vessels meters in size,
thus operates at 10􀀀9 (Fig.
​
3). As a result,
epicatalysis was unlikely to have been discovered
​
accidentally via industrial catalysts. There are, of course,
commercial devices that seem to rely inadvertently
​
on epicatalysis (e.g., hydrogen atom sources27).
These, however, are niche markets whose research funding
​
is usually inadequate for careful study of underlying
physical chemistry so, again, it was unlikely to have been
​
​d​
iscovered.>>

​Harry​