Hi,
[snip]
>The nickel to nickel idea seems very promising.  I doubt there is deuteron
>capture, because if there is deuteron capture, there is probably proton
>capture as well, along with all of the nasty gammas.  This is what is
>leading me to deuterium stripping -- e.g., 60Ni(d,p)61Ni.  Here the neutron
>is stripped off of the deuteron and added to the nickel, and the proton
>flies in the other direction, rather than there being a full capture.

Actually, I rather like this idea. It's much easier for a neutron to tunnel than
for a proton, because the neutron has no Coulomb barrier opposing it. (Both the
neutron and the proton however need to find 2.2 MeV to escape the deuterium
nucleus, so parting is equally difficult for each.)

Note also that a severely shrunken Deuterino will have a much higher chance of
participating in such a reaction because it can get close to a target nucleus.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk