The US is susceptible to a Ebola outbreak because a large percentage of the
population is health care adverse. This grope of poor people has no health
insurance or cannot afford the expense of a long term hospital stay because
of sickness. This substantial segment of the population will ignore a high
fever hoping that the fever will abate eventually.

Furthermore, the US hospital system has a low carrying capacity for Ebola
victims because each hospital as just one or two isolation rooms available
to confine new Ebola patents.

There is a limit to the number of patients that the health system can
support. Once the epidemic grows beyond that limit, total isolation of the
sick is no longer possible with most victims roaming the streets as happens
in Africa.

A possible Ebola epidemic is one possible cost for society not providing a
single payer government supported health care system.