At 05:50 PM 2/14/99 -0800, Chris Crawford wrote:
>I have but one observation to offer. I counted at least 3 references to an
>ultimate goal of using VRML for storytelling. Yet most of the discussion
>centers on polygon models, fps, texture, language utility, execution speed
>and reliability, and of course, 3D.
>
>Now, maybe I'm dumb, but I just don't see the connection between these two
>fields of endeavor. Both are good, honorable, challenging, important, and
>interesting -- but they don't have anything to do with each other.
>
>This seems very much like a "render unto Caesar" problem. VRML appears to
>be an attempt to get 3D imagery running over the web. That's good. But why
>attempt to force this poor horse to do something it wasn't designed to do?
>I would think that, if you wanted to do storytelling you'd worry about
>things like plot, character, climax, denoument -- that kinda stuff. And if
>you wanted to do 3D, you'd worry about things like polygons, texture,
>execution speed -- the kinda things that VRML worries about.
>
>Am I out of touch with VRML reality?

It's true that if you want to put on a play all you really need is actors
and a script. But it's nice to have a richer experience which is why most
drama programs include instruction on makeup, costumes, set design and
construction, etc. If you're going to tell stories in VR (on the web or
otherwise) you have to deal with the infrastructure that you're working
with. I believe this list *is* about storytelling, but it's focus is on
storytelling using VRML (or other VR) as the medium. So a discussion of the
technical aspects is in order, especially since the technical difficulties
often get in the way of the storytelling.

This reminds me of a joke:
Q. What's the difference between photographers and painters?
A. Painters don't sit around talking about brushes.

Cindy

         |             Cindy Ballreich              |
     |\  |  Technical Director - 3D Visualization   |
   _/ .`-|  Computer Associates International, Inc. |    ,
   \ .4  |        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |\__//
    `--'\|           [EMAIL PROTECTED]            |`--'