Dear Bjoern and Savithri,

This is a challenge close to the hearts of all WikiEducators and We've
been thinking hard about how to move this forward.

At least at a technical level -- this is solvable, but its quite
complicated and will certainly need a fair bit of funding to get this
right.

Optimising the CSS for use on low bandwidth would be relatively easy to
solve -- and in fact this may already be the case.  When logged in - any
user can change their preference settings to use different skins. I've
not researched this, but it shouldn't be too hard to optimise one of the
existing skins for low bandwidth browsing. Lets hope that there are some
CSS gurus in our community that might want to give this a try. Perhaps
you know of someone who has this technical knowledge -- see if you can
encourage them to help out <smile>.

Wiki's are unique in the sense that they are dynamic. Literally every
second someone around the world could be editing something. So this
makes replication a little more difficult. For example, if we have a
local installation of WikiEducator in Uganda -- how will the Uganda
WikiEducator synchronise with edits around the world.

Benjamin Mako Hill of the Free Software Foundation has developed a
promising proof-of-concept for history sensitive branching and
synchronisation of wikis:

http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:BMH1

So at least from a proof of concept perspective -- this would be doable.
However, is not a trival exercise and would need considerable funding to
get this operation. That said, it would be a huge advance for the free
knowledge community in widening access to knowledge. Perhaps we should
collaborate on a funding proposal to secure the funding to get this work
done. I'm pretty sure that the Wikimedia Foundation would also be very
interested in solving this challenge.