Dear all,

As a practical way forward: Perhaps some of you will be at pcf5 in
July in London, and if so, would you be interested in a meeting to
discuss some of these ideas?

Some more technical comments:

> >         Optimising the CSS for use on low bandwidth would be
> >         relatively easy to solve -- and in fact this may already be
> >         the case.  When logged in - any user can change their
> >         preference settings to use different skins. I've not

I had a quick look at the mediawiki skins a while back, and didn't see
anything that was really low bandwidth. I'll check this more
carefully, and I'll get back.

There's also a lot to be said for making the '''default''' skin lower
bandwidth. The css/javascript could probably be optimised while
keeping the functionality the same. I'd be very happy to contribute to
solving this, but right now can't commit to looking at this on my own.

> >         Benjamin Mako Hill of the Free Software Foundation has
> >         developed a promising proof-of-concept for history sensitive
> >         branching and synchronisation of wikis:
>
> >        http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:BMH1

I'll get in touch win Benjamin, and see where this got to.

It would of course be desirable to have a feature-rich solution.
However, I wonder whether one could do something more lightweight. For
instance, suppose pages synchronise one way only, i.e. 'wikieducator
uganda' gets updates from 'wikieducator'.

When you hit 'edit' in Uganda, the users apparently doesn't leave the
'wikieducator uganda', but behind the scenes 'wikieduator uganda'
talks to 'wikieducator' to make sure that the page on 'wikieducator
uganda' is up to date. This just means swapping a bit of text (the
content of the wiki page): No css, no javascript, just compressed
text. When you submit your edit, the edit is sent straight to the main
'wikieducator'. If there's a conflict, you get a conflict notice, like
you normally would.

Of course this means that you cannot edit 'wikieducator uganda' when
there is no connection. But it might be enough to edit 'wikieducator
uganda' when there is a very poor connectivity..

It might be that in terms of use-cases and usability this would be a
significant advance. Of course, it might turn out that it's not
enough, and a full online/offline 'branch merging' wiki
synchronisation system is needed.

In any case, I think this is very valuable, and look forward to
further comments!

All the best,
Bjoern