On 01/17/2013 09:54 AM, Chris McMahon wrote:
How would this affect the notion of Groups?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals

In a positive way.  ;)

If after every week sprint a group gets one contributor more, then the chances of having a better next sprint will increase.

Following the proposal, we don't need formal MediaWiki groups start turning the wheel. With Chris, Andre, Zeljko and Valerie we have enough to push the cycles.

Of course each activity will need to have participants, and these participants might be interested in staying in touch, discuss and plan other tasks. This is where the groups might help to coordinate and generate better week sprints.

I haven't been around long enough, but one problem we seem to have is that even successful activities leave little heritage for future events. Apart from the people continuously engaged e.g. through this list, it's almost like we are starting from scratch every time. Hopefully the groups will help bridging activities and growing continuously.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation