Guy Harris wrote:
James Garrison wrote:

Is there a simple command-line executable that uses
WinPCap?

I don't know what qualifies as "simple", but if, for your purposes, tcpdump counts as "simple", there's WinDump:

   http://windump.polito.it/

which is tcpdump ported to Windows. It's not "simple", in that it's a command-line packet capture and analysis tool, but it can be used as a fairly simple test program for WinPcap, if that's what you're looking for.

I didn't find one in the WinPCap binary distribution for Windows.

That's probably because they have WinDump, and it's separate (just as libpcap and tcpdump are packaged separately, although they both come from the same group of people).

(Note that there aren't WinPcap binary distributions for anything that isn't Windows, that being what the "Win" in "WinPcap" and "WinDump" refers to.)

Thanks for the response. I was able to build the examples in the WinPCap devkit under cygwin and do some captures using only WinPCap. I got the same results. Since nobody else seems to be having the problem, I suspect it's my configuration. Maybe one of those recent WinXP security fixes broke PCap. I seem to recall something about some socket-related problems with the latest set of patches.

-- James Garrison Athens Group, Inc. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 5608 Parkcrest Dr http://www.athensgroup.com Austin, TX 78731 PGP: RSA=0x92E90A3B DH/DSS=0x498D331C (512) 345-0600 x150