I don't know how to answer that as many blogs are set up differently. The
most interesting one, in terms of markup would have to be Tanteks blog - the
entire page is set up using ordered lists:
http://tantek.com/log/2004/03.html

Another guy who talks about this (link stolen from dezwozhere.com):
http://www.burned.com/absolutelists.php

Not saying this is ideal or suitable for all, but there is a wide variety of
options that people choose.

:)
Russ