I do believe that he said "officially", not really speaking for himself,
but for the CSS community that supported that method as a whole. I will
ask a few others that were sitting with my at the panel.

You can get to his slides from a link on my site, as part of my
write-up/review of that panel:

http://www.jeremyflint.com/wp/index.php?p=7

He did go over a few of the others that used techniques like setting
negative margins on the text so that it sat off the page and using
Overflow hidden and absolute positioning to cover the text up with an image.

The problem with the negative margin is that if someone was browsing
with styles enabled, but images disabled, they would see nothing. The
problem with the overflow:hidden method was that if you needed your
image to be transparent, you could see the text behind it.

-----
Jeremy Flint
www.jeremyflint.com