depends on what server technology the site is using, of course.

from experience, i would recommend JSP - Java's internal handling of
Unicode and built-in language/locale stuff (resource bundles) is very
effective.  all the text is stored in .properties files, one per
language and/or country, and JSP/HTML templates dynamically show the
text from the appropriate language.