Seona Bellamy wrote:
> I can't see why it wouldn't be the same for teachers. I mean, English
> and Literature teachers need to read the texts they will be taking
> their class through so that they are familiar with the material. When
> the way of approaching mathematics changed (my mother has told some
> highly amusing anecdotes about being a student during the shift to  "new
> maths" back in the late 60s/early 70s) all the maths teachers  would
> have had to go out and learn the new approach and new  techniques so
> they could teach their students. Why can't the same be  said of Web
> Development teachers?

Because that would require a directive from "above". And would still be resisted for all the usual reasons that change is resisted.

The key component there, though, is convincing the relevant curriculum bodies of the importance of standards-based design. Independent institutions such as TAFEs, universities and private schools can determine their curriculum to greater or lesser extent. Government schools cannot. Organisations such as (in Australia), VCAA and its equivalents in other states and the Curriculum Corporation etc need to be convinced. Another way to reach teachers is via teaching associations or computing associations. I've yet to hear of anyone making any ground in any of those arenas pushing a standards-based agenda

Anyone with ideas for taking those academic ivory towers by storm is welcome to email me personally if they don't want to share with the list

Cheers
Lachlan