I don't know, Sam...

I mean, we're not forcing someone to use these patterns. But let's face it, they're patterns because lots of people use them.
For example:

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next

look familiar?
Google and almost every multi-page set of results uses this. I'd call it a convention. We're using the word 'pattern'.

What's the best way to mark this up?
Well, I'd hazard a quess that this was an ordered list.
But then there's those two at the beginning and end....
How are they best semantically marked up?
And what CSS is best used to effectively display them?

What I'm saying is that instead of:
a. trying to figure it out for yourself (which at the VERY best is time consuming), or
b. Cut'n'pasting someone else's dodgey table-based code....

... you could go to this site and, knowing that this is the Best Practice method, use that bit of code.

Hang on! Oh yeah, the standards community has already started doing something like this with hCard via MicroFormats, right?
Thing is, I think the idea could be applied to more patterns.

You never know, it might end continually re-occurring debates on mailing lists (like those I mentioned in my first post).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Samuel Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>