Hi Rick,

> And I always wonder how many people, particularly the older generation
> who (without wanting to generalise too much) may not be quite as tech-
> savvy as their kids, actually have no idea that the default text size
> can even be adjusted, and possibly look at browser-default text and
> think "That text looks a bit big and clunking. But I assume that there's
> nothing I can do about except use the text resizing control in IE."

does Jakob Nielsen's research count as creditable research?

I would like to draw your attention to his Alertbox column, where he
repeatedly states that tiny text is one of the worst design mistakes.
To quote from his "Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005" at
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html :

"Bad fonts won the vote by a landslide, getting almost twice as many
votes as the #2 mistake. About two-thirds of the voters complained
about small font sizes or frozen font sizes;"

which then links to the famous "Let Users Control Font Size" at
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020819.html

Cheers,

jens.
--