On 9 Aug 2007, at 07:27, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2007/08/07 20:38 (GMT+0100) Alastair Campbell apparently typed:

You could take Jacob Neilsons finding that small fonts were the most
popular 'mistake' as proof that people don't know how to change their
settings

Or you could take it as proof that web designers as a group have perfect
vision, and fail to understand normal web users as a group do not have
perfect vision, resulting in fonts on web pages just right for most web
designers and too small for most others.

or it could be, that a lot of designers don't have perfect eyesight, wear glasses and when sites were designed for 640x480 wanted to cram as much message into the "above the fold" area as they could so reduced the font size to do so.

line length and readability have as much to do with the problem as font-size.

I have poor eyesight and a huge screen, yet I still set my code editor to a bitmapped font of 9pt so I can see a decent amount of code at a time, the windows on my screen are generally no more than 800px wide.

"Millions of people cannot participate fully online because most Web sites are built for people with perfect vision and the manual dexterity needed to
operate a mouse." http://xhtml.com/en/future/fixing-the-web-1/

millions of people cannot participate fully online because they don't have Internet Access.

However, I do agree we shouldn't be preventing users adjusting font sizes.

you did once post a useful method for setting a default on body that allowed the use of ems, but didn't change the users browser defaults, i can't remember what it was, though, was it set the body font-size to medium? or just use 100%.

IE being broken requires some setting on body font-size or em sizing will break.

what's the best pragmatic approach?

given that we can't (commercially) just let the browsers dictate font and font size (as times new roman at default doesn't give you many words per line and *is* hard to read) how best to set a font-size that doesn't prevent users from choosing something else.

my view has been that those that need something special, generally know how to do it and those that don't either don't care or can't be bothered. e.g I find white text on a dark background difficult to read, so rarely spend time on sites with a dark theme. Others I know find black text on white harder... flexibility and choice are the key surely?