From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rachel Radford
Sent: Tuesday, 30 September 2008 8:23 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] Is it a good practice to have 'Back to Top' link?

Hi Joe,

"Therefore, the use of 'Return to top' link will be required unless I can
prove to my client that users don't click them via studies, research or user
feedback, not just only from my personal experience."

I think you answered your own question there... Can you do some studies or
research (such as implementing crazy egg or similar, observing the users
etc.) into how people use the current site and the back to top links on it?
You may find that they are used a lot, and that site visitors find them very
useful, regardless of what our own opinions and feelings are.  You may also
find that they are not used at all, in which case there is no need to
include them in a redesign.

Likewise, continue testing on the new redesigned site to see whether the
back to top links are required on your new design, or what the best
implementation (sticky sidebar, fixed position, etc.) of the back to top
links is.

:)
Rach