At 6/22/2009 08:49 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
To put what you wrote another way, with a font family list such as your
example, the visitor is at the designer's mercy to see only the designer's
choice of fonts, instead of the visitor's, even if the visitor has spent big
money on high quality but uncommon fonts and chosen as default one of them.
To actually see his choice, the visitor will have to set is browser to
completely ignore the designer's font choices throughout all documents.

Like Mark, I say let the visitor's choice be the choice applied to most
content, with the designer specifying otherwise only to highlight or provide
character, as in headings, emphasis, or menuing. On body at least, it should
be enough to specify either serif or sans-serif (partial deference to
visitor), or nothing at all (total deference to visitor). If the visitor
wants Comic Sans, let him have it. It's his puter, not yours.

Oh, it doesn't stop with fonts! Some website producers are arrogant enough to force text and images on the visitor instead of allowing them to enjoy the default text and images they have written for their own browser. It's shocking; simply shocking. If people actually wanted to read the text, see the images, and enjoy the graphic and typographic design of other people (give me a break!), they would have connected these computers into a world-wide network and permitted us to browse around looking at one another's... hey... wait a minute... hmm, let me rethink this one.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.