At 6/22/2009 08:49 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
To put what you wrote another way, with a font family list such as your
example, the visitor is at the designer's mercy to see only the designer's
choice of fonts, instead of the visitor's, even if the visitor has spent big
money on high quality but uncommon fonts and chosen as default one of them.
To actually see his choice, the visitor will have to set is browser to
completely ignore the designer's font choices throughout all documents.

Like Mark, I say let the visitor's choice be the choice applied to most
content, with the designer specifying otherwise only to highlight or provide
character, as in headings, emphasis, or menuing. On body at least, it should
be enough to specify either serif or sans-serif (partial deference to
visitor), or nothing at all (total deference to visitor). If the visitor
wants Comic Sans, let him have it. It's his puter, not yours.

I submit that installing a font on one's computer establishes a concrete desire to view text styled in that font to be displayed in that font. Conversely, if we don't wish to see text in a particular font, we can simply remove it or choose not to install it in the first place. We're still "at the mercy" of PDFs and word processing documents with embedded fonts and Flash movies and docs containing text-as-image, but plain text HTML cannot force fonts on us that we do not choose to see. The user has complete control over their own computer in this regard and cannot be forced or coerced by a document designer.

I put it to you that all of the text on a page provides character to the page, not just headlines & menus. It is the relationship between different fonts on a page that gives it deeper character. Sans-serif heads are not the same when paired with either serif or sans-serif body text.

Please explain the boundary you perceive between body text, which you feel should not be styled by the page designer, and headlines, emphasis, and menuing which you think are OK for a designer to design. Why should the page designer not influence the former and why should the font-sensitive end-user relinquish control over the latter?

Further, why should we not influence letter forms but have our merry way with foreground & background colors, borders, images, surrounding margins & padding, line height, and other stylistic memes that can affect both readability and the reader's aesthetic context just as much as or more than font choice?

I suggest we go ahead and suggest font-families but do it intelligently and compassionately, choosing fonts for a particular purpose for their grace and readability and compatibility with column-width and all the rest of the page design.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.