On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Alan Coopersmith
<Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
> Martin Bochnig wrote:
>> No, thanks,
>
> I wasn't suggesting you do anything - who said you were the only person here?
> Edward had expressed interest in working on libxcb himself, and others have
> expressed interest in knowing what's going on there.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the very beginning of above thread
(2 weeks ago).
I have continued this work. My original plan was to surprise everybody
with the fruits.
Until the "we don't integrate your SPARC-Xorg patches" thing.

>> WHY should I (or another external person) ever work on the
>> fox-gate again?
>
> For the same reason anyone works on any open source - because it interests
> you and you're willing to make it available to others, but without knowing
> if anyone will use it until you put it out there.
>
>> At the end everything is ready and nobody moves it upstream.
>
> "Nobody" in this case includes you.   If we were to follow the strict
> OpenSolaris development process used by other gates, then it would be
> up to you to file bug reports for specific changes, request a sponsor
> to putback those changes, and prepare any necessary code & ARC reviews
> for those changes.   That I've done all that work myself to integrate
> changes from you & Moinak is an exception, not the intended normal process.
> I'm sorry that I'm not putting in 24 hours a day to do all the work I
> need to do, and do all this for you as well, and that no one else has
> volunteered to do so either.
>
>> A year back, when the fox-gate was set up, it had been without any
>> question that SPARC-Xorg would be used for one or more of "Sun's
>> distros".
>
> SPARC Xorg is already in Sun's distros and will continue to be.

I rarely smiled like that: Which hardware does it support?
Only m64 (unaccellerated with wsfb) and the XVR-2500?
Also, not on the new post 2002-era hardware platforms, because this
xserver was not based on Sun's libpciaccess port yet.
But also not on most old PCI-bridges, because for this to work you
would have been required to follow my recommendations ("magic flags"
for sparcPci.c).
Come on, Xorg in SXCE and Solaris 10 is not very useful right now, not
for running it as server.
It will only work on the Ultra5 and Ultra10 pci-bridge and only
unaccellerated with m64.
Show me a box where you can bring up the shipping Xorg with a
XVR-2500, I would be interested. Cannot be many scenarios where it
actually starts up without crashing.

> How much of your work will go in, I really don't know - I've not had
> time to look at it to see how much we will want to use, and I can't say
> whether or not we'll ship any of the open drivers - maybe we will,
> maybe we won't - it's not decided yet.
>
> If it only appears in Natamar, Martux, Belenix, Nexenta or other distros,
> is that really so horrible?

Which of the distros you mentioned are available for SPARC?
Which of those that are not have expressed plans to support SPARC in the future?

Given your style of arguing you could make a promising career in politics.

>> Assuming I could afford it to start working on
>> xcb (another month for free),
>
> Please don't work on xcb - go find yourself a paying job.

Since last week I now got one.
This is exactly the reason that I know it in precise monetary numbers
what your fox-gate has costed me over the years.

>   The message was not intended for you, but for anyone who has an interest in
> xcb.

No, why not? Am I not reader of this list? Didn't I state and show
earlier, that I also belong to those who are interested in xcb?
Note further that I wrote "why should I (or any other external person) ...".
I'm not speaking as Martin Bochnig alone, I'm speaking as community
member and reader of this list.

> It's starting to become hard for me to continue communicating with the
> xwin-discuss list, since I'm tired of getting attacked by you in response
> to every message.   I have to remember that there are over 100 other
> subscribers who actually want to know what's going on and appreciate the
> truth

The truth? Shall I repeat it?
You should not be upset if somebody tells you the truth once in a month.
If somebody does have a reason to be disillusioned, disappointed and
upset, then this includes me, pretty much at the beginning.

It was "work in progress" (SPARC-1.5.x move and also xcb) until you
informed me about not having any plans to use my contributions.
It would have been better you had told me in advance (April or earlier 2007).
If you prefer to argue I can post your own quotes from back then to the list.
But in fact I have more lucrative work to do now.

Thanks for having worked with me,
apologies again, that I ever dared to interfere your xwin-discuss
communication with a few good ideas (I know that one has to apologize
if one contributes longer-term stuff for free here, unless one expects
literally nothing at all).

Thread closed.

Respectfully,
never again,