Hello Sebastian,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Sebastian Bergmann
<sebast...@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 20.04.2011 09:30, schrieb Jerome Renard:
>> I would say the main problem with Ant is there is no loops and
>> conditionals
>
>  I have never needed programming structures like that in my build
>  automation scripts. But I think I understand where the problem is: you
>  are trying to use a build automation tool to implement an application:
>  a website generator. This is wrong. What you want to do may be possible
>  with Pake (or any build automation tool that supports build scripts with
>  a cyclomatic complexity > 1) but that does not make it right ;-)

That does not make it wrong either. The point is not to be right or wrong.
The point is to get a "build" system that can be run by anyone for
AZC's doc and website.
That means we need something very flexible, cross-platform (well as
much as possible)
and maintainable.

>  Have a look at how the documentation for PHPUnit's manual is built [1].
>  There are a couple of PHP scripts that deal with syntax highlighting of
>  examples and form a website from the HTML that comes out of DocBook/XSL.
>  But the automation of these scripts happens in Ant. As it should be.

Automation is trivial I am not worried by that.

By reading your build file I noticed that you actually moved the
complexity out of Ant and used
a couple of PHP scripts that solve specific needs. This is an option I
actually did not had in mind
and which definitely deserves to be tested. Maybe this is the correct
balance between flexibility
and using a standard build system like Ant. I need to finish the
Pakefile first and I'll have a look at
a mix between PHP and Ant.

Have a nice evening :)

--