Did you say what version of Solaris 10 you were using?  I had similar problems
on Sol10 U2, booting a database.  This involved first initializing the data
files (a few Gb), then starting the server(s) which tried to allocate a large
chunk of shared memory.  This failed miserably since ZFS had gobbled up most
memory.  But with Sol10 U3, this problem had gone away and ARC memory was
quickly released.

I found vmstat was convenient for a simple overview of available memory during
the process.

- Bjorn