I will only comment on the chassis, as this is made by AIC (short for
American Industrial Computer), and I have three of these in service at
my work.  These chassis are quite well made, but I have experienced the
following two problems:

1) The rails really are not up to the task of supporting such a heavy
box when fully extended.  If you rack this guy, you are at serious risk
of having a rail failure, and dropping the whole party on the floor.
Ouch.  If you do use this chassis in a rack, I highly recommend you
either install a very strong rail mounted shelf below it, or you support
it with a lift when the rails are fully extended.

3) The power distribution board in these are a little flaky.  I haven't
ever had one outright fail on me, but, I have had some interesting power
on scenarios.  For example, after a planned power outage, the chassis
would power on, but then turn it's self off again after about 4-5
seconds.  I couldn't get it powered on to stay.  What was happening was
the power distribution card was confused, and thought it didn't have the
necessary 3 (of 4) power supplies on line, and safed its self off.  To
fix this, I had to pull the power supplied all out, and wait a few
minutes to fully discharge the power distribution card, then plug the
supplies back in.  Then it was able to power on again to stay.  A real
odd pain in the posterior.

For all new systems, I've gone with this chassis instead (I just noticed
Rackmount Pro sells 'em also):

http://rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=2043

Functional rails, and better power system.

One other thing, that you may know already.  Rackmount Pro will try to
sell you 3ware cards, which work great in the Linux/Windows environment,
but aren't supported in Open Solaris, even in JBOD mode.  You will need
alternate SATA host adapters for this application.

Good luck,

Jon

Kent Watsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm putting together a OpenSolaris ZFS-based system and need help
> picking hardware.
>
> I'm thinking about using this 26-disk case:  [FYI: 2-disk RAID1 for the
> OS & 4*(4+2) RAIDZ2 for SAN]
>
>     http://rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=2418
>
> Regarding the mobo, cpus, and memory - I searched goggle and the ZFS
> site and all I came up with so far is that, for a dedicated iSCSI-based
> SAN, I'll need about 1 Gb of memory and a low-end processor - can anyone
> clarify exactly how much memory/cpu I'd need to be in the safe-zone?
> Also, are there any mobo/chipsets that are particularly well suited for
> a dedicated iSCSI-based SAN?
>
> This is for my home network, which includes internet/intranet services
> (mail, web, ldap, samba, netatalk, code-repository), build/test
> environments (for my cross-platform projects), and a video server
> (mythtv-backend).
>
> Right now, the aforementioned run on two separate machines, but I'm
> planning to consolidate them into a single Xen-based server.  One idea I
> have is to host a Xen-server on this same machine - that is, an
> OpenSolaris-based Dom0 serving ZFS-based volumes to the DomU guest
> machines.  But if I go this way, then I'd be looking at 4-socket Opteron
> mobo to use with AMD's just released quad-core CPUs and tons of memory.
> My biggest concern with this approach is getting PSUs large enough to
> power it all - if anyone has experience on this front, I'd love to hear
> about it too
>
> Thanks!
> Kent

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -
-  _____  /   _____  /     /     Space Sciences Laboratory, UC Berkeley
-        /          /     /      (510) 643-5146 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- ______/    ______/    ______/           AST:7731^29u18e3