> > Now, not being a psychic myself, I can't state
> with
> > authority that Stefano really meant to ask the
> > question that he posed rather than something else.
> > In retrospect, I suppose that some of his
> > surrounding phrasing *might* suggest that he was
> > attempting (however unskillfully) to twist my
> > comment about other open source solutions being
> > similarly enterprise-capable into a provably-false
> > assertion that those other solutions offered the
> > *same* features that he apparently considers so
> > critical in ZFS rather than just comparably-useful
> > ones.  But that didn't cross my mind at the time:
>  simply answered the question that he asked, and in
>  passing also pointed out that those features which
>  he apparently considered so critical might well not
>   be.
> dear bill,
> my question was honest

That's how I originally accepted it, and I wouldn't have revisited the issue
looking for other interpretations if two people hadn't obviously thought it
meant something else.

For that matter, even if you actually intended it to mean something else that
doesn't imply that there was any devious intent.  In any event, what you
actually asked was what I had referred to, and I told you:  it may not have met
your personal goals for your own storage, but that wasn't relevant to the
question that you asked (and that I answered).

Your English is so good that the possibility that it might be a second language
had not occurred to me - but if so it would help explain any subtle
miscommunication.

> if there are no alternatives to zfs,

As I explained, there are eminently acceptable alternatives to ZFS from any
objective standpoint.

 I'd gladly
> stick with it,

And you're welcome to, without any argument from me - unless you try to
convince other people that there are strong technical reasons to do so, in
which case I'll challenge you to justify them in detail so that any hidden
assumptions can be brought out into the open.

- bill