> So name these mystery alternatives that come anywhere
> close to the protection,

If you ever progress beyond counting on your fingers you might (with a lot of
coaching from someone who actually cares about your intellectual development)
be able to follow Anton's recent explanation of this (given that the
higher-level overviews which I've provided apparently flew completely over your
head).

> functionality,

I discussed that in detail elsewhere here yesterday (in more detail than
previously in an effort to help the slower members of the class keep up).

 and ease of
> use

That actually may be a legitimate (though hardly decisive) ZFS advantage:  it's
too bad its developers didn't extend it farther (e.g., by eliminating the
vestiges of LVM redundancy management and supporting seamless expansion to
multi-node server systems).

- bill